Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Moab Bears, Zion Narrows and Death Hollow

Hi All,
It has been a very fun, eventful last few days. I have gone from Moab, to Zion, to Vegas to pick up Janice, back to Zion, to Escalante, back to Vegas.
In Moab I was lucky enough to meet Kari. She is doing a masters research project on bears. I went out with her into the La Sals to check her bait sites. Her project is trying to find a way to deter bears from getting into garbage by using taste aversion. I won't go into it, but if you want to know more about it let me know.

Kari also introduced me to James and Kim. Some friends of hers from Moab. They took us climbing in a very cool place called KFC Crag way up in the La Sals. It was nice to climb up there because it was so hot out of the mountains. This place is not in any guide books and so it was very cool having some local folks show me around.

Here is a picture of Kim climbing a very cool 5.10c.



I then headed to Zion and Vegas to pick up Janice. The next day we dropped Pico and Molly at the Doggy Dude Ranch and we headed into the Narrows.

Here is a picture of me bouldering in the Narrows.



There was a big fire going on in Zion when we were there and the smoke did some of the most beautiful things to the light on the canyon walls.



This is Janice trying to get into a very cold falls up a side canyon called Orderville Canyon.



This is Janice at the mouth of Orderville Canyon.



Then we headed for Escalante to backpack into Box Death Hollow.

A few years back my good friends Todd, Kay and I did a backpacking trip into Death Hollow and I have pictures of the three of us holding our packs over our heads going thru this part of the canyon because it was chest deep water. As you can see it has filled in with sand and is ankle deep. Mother nature is ever changing and a very powerful force.



This is a giant cottonwood tree on the way into Death Hollow. We had to walk about seven miles thru Escalante canyon to get into Death Hollow.



These next couple of pictures are of a great swimming hole deep into Death Hollow. Molly and Pico where having lots of fun trying to stay cooled off.





This last one is of Janice and I enjoying the hot sun and each other.



We had a wonderful time. I had to drop her off at the airport today in Vegas. I really did not want her to go. I going to miss her very much.

We then headed up into the mountains for a night of camping. It poured rain all night. Just about every we had got wet. it was great but not much sleep. Here is the storm coming in.



We then headed into Calf Creek Canyon. I have some great pictures I will share later.

Please give my love to everyone.
Peace,
Geoff

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics Settles, it looks like you are having a great time. When I get to Africa I'll be sure to put up some pics on myspace, I can't wait i'm excited. And from all the money that i make while i'm out there i'm saving up to buy a better camera. Also I only have 14 months left when i get back, so i'll be back in Michigan, not in Manistee tho, i'm hoping Ann Arbor, because i'm going to apply to U of M. cross fingers on that one. Well i hope you continue to have fun, you r lookin like the same ol settles.. hehe.. talk to ya laterz, have fun.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geoff, those pictures are amazing.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Zion, it's probably my favorite national park. Tonya and I did some hiking out there the last time we went to Vegas. You check out the Valley of Fire State park in Nevada, it's about 45 minutes east of Vegas as you head towards St. George.

Doug.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home