Monday, May 10, 2010

Searching for People's Canyon

Hi All,
I hope this post finds everyone doing well and happy.
Yesterday Janice, Pico, and I went to look for People's Canyon. It is a small canyon in the middle of the desert. As we drove into the desert you are thinking there is no way there is water around here. After we drove for 40 miles there was nothing, but People's Canyon is supposed to have a beautiful spring and a couple of swimming holes.

Ocotillo plant. This picture does this no justice. It only blooms in spring time and when seen in real life it looks as thought the tips are on fire.



Me tormenting a big Horn Toad. I just had to pick it up.



They are so mellow.





It was a beautiful hike.





Western Diamondback. It was about two feet long and not happy with us. We saw another one a little smaller about 20 feet behind us. Janice almost stepped on it and the thing never made a sound. Then, as we were watching this one move into the under brush, I heard the distinct sound of another rattlesnake. My heart skipped a beat because Pico was in front of us. We look up and I see Pico about 4 feet away from this guy. Pico was keeping his distance and just smelling the air. I yelled "no" and Pico came to us. We then went up to the snake and took these pictures and videos. It was a good opportunity to help with Pico's training to stay away from rattlesnakes. We were both pleased with his reaction and he appeared to be interested but kept his distance.










It was funny. When I would come out west during my summers off I would be ultra sensitive to watching for snakes. Both Janice and I had become a little lazy and have not been paying as much attention, especially after the winter season. Believe you me, that will not happen again. This was a big wake-up call.

We did not find the canyon yesterday but we are taking a friend next weekend to find it. Hopefully some more good pictures to come.

Peace and Love,
Geoff

7 Comments:

Blogger April and Roel said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure. Yes! Please be careful with those rattlesnakes. I am glad Pico's training seems to be working. Can't wait to see you in July! Kiefer talks about Aunt Janice and Uncle Geoff all the time!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Jess Suter said...

Uh, dude, that's just about my worst nightmare....NOT into snakes whatsoever!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Fuller said...

I now know what I am getting Suter for her birthday. ;)

10:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rattlesnake bites are right there with bee stings for me! I'm allergic to bee stings. Got stinged this past Friday. Good thing for the epipen. Snakes bites in the middle of the desert would be worse! Be careful!!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

NIce hike! Glad to hear that there are hidden spots that are hard to find. It is cool and foggy here on the coast, after an amazing winter and spring. Glad you are enjoying he desert & keep watching for those rattling beasts!

2:28 PM  
Blogger gg said...

Great shots! That part of the world is so beautiful. I love the snake pictures.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures.

Reminds me of the time when a rattlesnake slithered up beside me while belaying at Foster Falls in Tennessee. I couldn't figure out what was making the sound, I thought it was an insect. It finally dawned on me that it was a rattlesnake after I spent several minutes practically dumping rope on the thing. I froze when I looked down and saw it poised to strike at my bare ankles. It was about the same size as the one in your pictures. The guy I was belaying was on a sketchy section and kept yelling "Don't drop me, don't drop me!" when I mentioned that, uh, there was a rattlesnake at my feet.

Fortunately the snake was mellow and let me step away. The only lasting effect was that I could only hike the trails in that canyon at very slow speeds for the rest of the trip. I couldn't stop looking out for rattlesnakes!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home