Monday, July 06, 2009

Long Weekend Fun

Hi All,
I hope this note finds everyone doing well.
Well, Janice had a long weekend because of the fourth so we decided to pack up Pico, our camping and climbing gear, our bikes and running shoes and go explore the Prescott area. We found a great campsite outside of town about 10 or so miles in the Prescott National Forest to set up our base camp. The next day we headed out to a place called the Granite Dells area to climb. Now the Granite Dells is a good size area with a lot of climbing. The place we went to was called Watson Lake.

Here is Pico the rock dog.


Here is Pico enjoying the views.


We did not get any climbing pictures at Watson Lake because it is hard to take pictures when you are belaying or climbing. We were thinking if we could train Pico to take pictures.
Watson Lake is a cool place that is a somewhat newly developed climbing area. Some of the ratings of the climbs were suspect though. We got on a 5.10c that spit me off (I fell) a number of times. Then right next to it was a 5.11a and I had an easier time climbing. Welcome to out west climbing. Great fun though. We can't wait to go back.

The next day we headed up into the mountains and biked and ran on some trails. I would rather run on a steep, rocky trail then on the road any day. Near the end of our run it started raining and ended up pouring on us for awhile. We all loved it. The monsoons are here in the desert. One of the highlights for me on this day was as when I was riding my bike in the mountains I saw a coyote on the side of the road. I thought he(?) saw me. There were cars coming from both directions and when they passed me the coyote started to cross. Coming right at me. I thought he was going to run into me. He saw me at the last minute and looked about as scared as I was. It was cool.

The next day we packed up camp and headed back to the Granite Dells. This time a place called Repel Dells.

This is Janice on a very cool 5.10a.


This is me on the same route.


Janice up a little higher.


We really need to get some friends to go with us to take pictures. :) :) :)

We hope everyone had a great 4th.

Peace and Love,
Geoff

2 Comments:

Blogger April and Roel said...

Awesome photos! Looks like you had a great weekend. I think it would be great if you could teach Pico to take photos! :)

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Kevie Baby said...

I guessing it is good to be back with your wife! My girl is away for the summer (back to the family farm in Wisconsin, riding horses and playing with our kids). She gets back in about 2.5 weeks, and we already know her trip was too long....

Thanks for the great photos! I love tracking your life. Let me know when Seattle is calling your name, and we'll make sure to have a room ready for you.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home